About Mid Century Mister

Born in the wrong era? No I wouldn't say so, who would really want to have lived though the war if they didn't have to. I have however always been fascinated by the past, I love the well dressed and simpler times. As a keen motorsport fan the mid century era is also golden age. Stay tuned for all my news, views and reviews.

Pages

Monday 7 November 2016

The Crown



The latest offering from the folk at Netflix is period biopic based on the early rise to the Crown of our Queen HRH Queen Elizabeth II. It also brings with it a very interesting mid century insight into the historical events of Great Britain and Empire. From the end of the War to the death of a King to the great smog of 1952.


The series is cast superbly with Claire Foy playing a very convincing Queen Elizabeth. John Lithgow an American, who I best know from 3rd Rock from the Sun among others, he plays Winston Churchill. A difficult role as the man who was a figurehead of the Allied forces during WWII was now elderly and clinging on in power.


The costumes, environment and general feel makes the series like a very cinematic high budget affair. Given the internet chatter of how much Netflix spent its easy to see why. Kudos to Netflix for putting such a great series together but also for bringing the gritty and often grim realities of this period in our monarchy's history to life.


The story follows on from the around the end of the plot of the movie The King's Speech, although do I prefer Jarad Harris or Colin Firth as King George? I certainly can guess what Mid Century Missus (to be) would say. I would recommend watching The Kings Speech before hand if like me your knowledge of the House of Windsor's family tree and history is a little fuzzy. Its not essential by any means but I did have a bit more of an understanding from watching The Kings Speech first.

Overall I give the series a hearty 10 out of 10, well done Netflix.    





No comments:

Post a Comment